Thursday, November 8, 2012

Presentation at UMass-Boston October 2012

On October 19-20, 2012, I traveled to Boston MA to present at the UMass Conflict Studies Conference.

My presentation specifically discussed a phenomenological research project that I conducted which is titled "Understanding the Experiences of Female American Converts to Islam Post-September 11, 2001."

The purpose of this research was to describe and understand the experience of what it means to be a female American convert to Islam in Post-9/11 America. The American female convert to Islam was defined as a female living in the United States who practiced any religion other than Islam but who has converted to Islam. The term Post-9/11 America refers to not only the physical location of the United States, but also the cultural climate and attitudes that have taken hold since the September 11 terrorist attacks. Female American participants were over the age of 18, were born in the United States, practiced religions other than Islam prior to converting to Islam, and converted after September 11, 2001.

This will be the first time I have ever presented this type of research, and basically, the first time I have been able to gather constructive feedback and criticism of my work in a topic area which will soon become my dissertation.

My dear friend Kacey took video of my presentation which you can see here, and while the video ends shortly before the end of my presentation, and the sound is very low quality, I think it might be valuable to anyone interested in learning more about this topic.



If you watch this video, you will see that part of my research method required that I disclose a number of things about myself that could be indicative of bias, and one of those things I had to disclose was my research for the original Exploring Prejudice Project. While I am always ready, willing and able to discuss the project that led to my book, and everything that happened to me in that awesome journey, I have to admit that I was a little frustrated that the dialogue that began during the Q & A session appeared to be more focused on my own experiences doing the Exploring Prejudice Project, and less focused of the specific research that I was presenting.

Presenting was bittersweet. I was presenting something I worked hard on, and something that I believe in, yet something was off. I was forced into the spotlight, when really I should have been waiting in the wings.

The young women that I worked with for my research had incredible experiences and stories to tell. I told these stories and focused on them during my presentation, yet something was off. What could I have said or done differently? How could I have ensured that people focused on the stars in the show, not just the supporting actor? Yes, it was my paper, but I shouldn't have been the star. It wasn't my story, I was just the medium for relaying it.

I feel deep in my core that there is a value to bringing forth these stories, and worked hard to ensure that their voices were both being spoken in the narrative of the research, as well as being heard during the presentation... yet it didn't go as planned.

Certainly, I recognize that I have an interesting story to tell. But so do these women. And I want to help them in any way that I can. My story should never overshadow theirs. I wore a scarf to see what it felt like. These women chose a faith based on convictions, and they wore a scarf to represent those convictions. THEIR story trumps mine, any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment