Sunday, November 28, 2010

Interesting message i received

One of the things that I think is really important about this project was that it sparked dialogue. Although I no longer dress in hijab, the fact that I chronicled my experiences on the internet through YouTube and Facebook, the comments still continue to pour in, and I continue to receive comments on a daily basis.

One recent comment really struck me as interesting, and with this young woman's permission I have included the comment here. She had previously commented to me that, as a Muslim woman, she had not really had much experience with prejudice or discrimination... but my videos somehow helped open her eyes to what was going on around her a bit more.

On November 17, 2010, she wrote:

" I remember commenting the other day saying that I had never noticed the prejudice for wearing my hijab. I guess your videos kinda opened my eyes wider into it. Today (on November 17, 2010), I went to Walmart in Covington, GA for lunch at the Subway. I've been there before with my hijab on, but today I actually noticed the judgmental eyes of hate and prejudice........it actually scared me, especially while I was eating lunch and this one man stared with such hate in his eyes. I guess the simple smile I always show to people goes unnoticed with a hijab on. Only one person there was friendly to me, and I forever thank and cherish her kindness. Thank you so much for opening my eyes to my surroundings :)"

Thank you for sharing with me, and thank you for allowing me to share with my followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment