Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Step Back

Like I have said before, after this project, it was like my vision was suddenly restored, or like a permanent haze in my vision was corrected. I have always liked to think of myself as an open minded person, but I have always known that we tend to turn a blind eye on social norms that can be painful for us to encounter on a daily basis. For my, that means that up until this project, for the most part I overlooked prejudice and discrimination because it was easier than having to see just how hurtful and hateful that people have the capacity to be.

Would I want to put those blinders back on again? absolutely not.

However that doesn't mean that I have to become comfortable with the way that people treat others who don't fit into their subgroups. I shared videos of my friend Adrienne before. She was the girl who did this project with me for a week at the beginning of the experience. This story centers around her. While she appears to be very pale skinned Caucasian, she is the product of an interracial marriage. Her husband is a very dark complected Bahamian man, who (in his own words) says that he is "not black, he's midnight."

Now that you have the back-story, watch the video to see what happened while my husband and I were on a double date with this couple, and how they were treated.

No comments:

Post a Comment