Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Flying in hijab: take 2

In the middle of July, I was invited to attend a conference (post to follow) about a marginalized group within the Muslim community. I took this travel opportunity to wear hijab and navigate airport security as well as. I was traveling with a male companion from school, and I wore clothing similar to that which I frequently wore while doing my project.

I knew that the security would be difficult to navigate so I made certain to not wear any metal on my body and I was very careful with how I packed my carry on baggage. It was an early morning flight and before I was able to approach the walk-through metal detector, I knew that I was going to be pulled aside for further screening. This is not an issue with me because, having worked in airport security for a period of time after 9/11, I knew the drill.

What I wasnt expecting was how I would feel. When I tell this story I am always hesitant to go into graphic detail, but on this site, I think it is ok.

Let me state CLEARLY, I understand the reason for airport security. I would rather air on the side of caution, and I am thankful (for the most part) for the jobs that the security personnel do. HOWEVER, after patting me down repeatedly on my bustline, and then making my genitalia move beneath my pants AND my panties, I think that the whole process was a bit over the top.

Yes, you read that correctly. The woman was so forceful with my vaginal area, that I felt incredibly violated and it brought tears to my eyes. The only thing that she could have done worse to me would be to actually rape me in the middle of the screening area.

AND YES, when I was done, I felt that I had been raped.

I still get emotional about what happened to me at the airport. I am hurt and offended.

I dont wear a hijab on a daily basis as a symbol of my modesty, but even I felt violated. I can only imagine what it would feel like if hijab were a part of my daily ritual to show my modesty and I was put on display and violated like that at an airport.

So watch the video.

Tell me you agree. Tell me you disagree. Tell me anything.

I hope my discussion of this might lead to conversations down the line.


No comments:

Post a Comment