Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community

Building relationships and opening dialogue was one of the great things to come out of this project, and when a friend invited me to visit his Muslim Community, I jumped at the opportunity. After getting to know this group a bit more, they sent me on an all expense paid trip to visit at the United States Annual Ahmadiyya Muslim Convention in Dulles, VA.

The Ahmadi are a group of Muslims which are discriminated by mainstream Islam, and I talk about them a bit in this video:



While at their annual convention in Dulles, VA (called Jalsa Salana), I was invited by the head of the United States community to their press conference alongside reporters from local and international news affiliates. I think they hoped that I would take video and share it through YouTube in hopes that I could help help offset some of the discrimination that they face which comes from the Muslim community, as a whole.

And that I did. These videos are a bit choppy and shakey, but I did my best. I don't wish to enter into the debate of whether the Ahmadi are, or are not, actually Muslims... I just hope that the things that they shared in their videos can help dispel some of the ideas that we have about violence in the Muslim world, the reasoning for Heightened security, and the separation of men and women when worshipping in Islam.



a womans perspective on gender separation:



and increased security at the convention after the terrorist attacks against the Ahmadi at Lahore, Pakistan:



As always, thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment